Supplemental Instruction (SI) is a series of weekly review sessions for students taking historically difficult courses. SI is a peer-facilitated group discussion associated with collaborative learning. It is not tutoring. The SI Leader is a facilitator who has taken the subject and will disseminate course material to help students succeed.
Research shows that students that attend SI sessions increase the probability of earning a better grade. These sessions are free of charge and provide the students with alternative avenues for learning; such as collaborative thinking, social skills, and address individual learning styles. SI review sessions are informal, so bring your notes, your textbooks, and your questions.
For SI outcomes data and statistics, view the STEM Outcomes page.
Questions? Comments? E-mail mvc-SIprogram@mvc.edu.
View the Summer 2017 SI Schedule
- SI Hiring Process [pdf]
- Students who attend SI sessions discover appropriate application of study strategies, e.g. note taking, organization, etc.
- SI Resources provided by STEM Student Success Center:
- SI session materials and resources
- Course textbooks
- SI planning resources
- Classroom facilitated sessions provided by SI Leader
- Better competence of classroom material
- SI Leaders
- Students who have demonstrated competence in course or approved comparable course
- Disseminate material to derive a better grade for the student
- Become better facilitators, mentors, etc.
- Assist students in passing courses you have already taken
- Must be requested by faculty and approved by SI Program staff
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) by Students:
- If my course does not have an SI Leader, how do students request one?
Ask your professor if they have an assigned SI Leader or would consider having one.
- How do I become an SI Leader for a specific course or discipline?
Make an inquiry with the professors teaching the subject you are interested in being an SI for. Faculty make all referrals and recommendations for SI Leader hiring and assignments.
- Are SI Leaders paid positions?
Yes, SI Leaders are hourly employees.
- Who do I contact?
Students should contact mvc-SIprogram@mvc.edu for any questions.
- Supplemental Instruction Leader Policies & Procedures [pdf]
- SI Faculty & Staff Handbook [pdf]
- Faculty SI Leader Evaluation Form [pdf] (for faculty review of SI Leaders only)
- SI Program SI Leader Evaluation Form [pdf] (for SI program staff only)
- SI Program Timeline [pdf]
Moreno Valley College’s Supplemental Instruction program is administered by Ann Yoshinaga, Associate Dean, Academic Support. Contact her assistant, Lorraine Grippin at (951) 571-6309, regarding any program-related questions.